Leadership & Empowerment for High School Boys of Color , Ages 15 – 17
Date(s) - Sep/30 - Jun/09
4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
New Era Creative Space (NECS)
Alternate Sundays 4:00 – 6:00 pm
Sept 30, 2018 – June 2019 (registration required)
January 6, 20, February 3, 17, March 3, 13, 31, April 7, 21, May 5, 19, June 2 & 16, Age 15 – 17
Tuition: Free (For Peekskill City Schoo District Students)
Tuition: $150 Annual suggested Donation (Non-Peekskill Students)
In addition to filling the online form below, Please CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD FORM and complete and mail to New Era Creative space, 1016 Brown Street, Peekskill NY 10566.
My Brother’s Keeper (MBK) is an initiative that was launched by President Obama to ensure all of our nation’s boys and young men of color (BYMOC) have equal opportunity to live up to their full potential.
In 2016, NECS was one of the partner organizations that collaborated with the Peekskill City School District to apply for a MBK grant. Our district was awarded and grant and this year NECS will provide creative leadership, empowerment workshops for high school boys of color.
We will be collaborating with numerous artists, teachers, and local organizations to ensure the success of this program. Please register your child on our classes and events page, so we can email you information as they become available.
Participants will define who they are, regardless of society’s definition. They will reflect on their innate strengths. To do this, they will explore a variety of coming of age questions (Who am I? What’s my purpose? How can I become an agent of change? What’s stopping me?) and deeply resolve these issues through engagement in Social Action and Mentorship. This will be done through Workshops, Guest Speakers and Trips.
* Re-crafting Cultural and Ethic stories using the Arts.
* Engage in workshops & exposure to guest mentors and leaders.
* Exploring Hip Hop & Rap Culture and expressing themselves and their stories through Spoken Word, Creative Writing, Music, Film Making & photography and more.
* Take Field trips to organizations in NYC to learn about different professions and possibilities to think about for their future.
* We will fine-tune the program based on the interest of the participants.
* Build self-awareness. Exploring personal and society’s narrative.
* Examine coping skills, current attitude and growth mindset.
* Learn conflict resolution skills and ways to cope with stressors.
* Increase openness, explore valuable human qualities that are innate and lead to success.
* Build self confidence and learn communication skills
* Explore values, virtues and qualities that make us be our best selves.
* Living intentionally, self expression and community engagement.
* Learning new skills and ways to express oneself creatively, and with integrity.