Making An Impact In The Lives Of Children & Youth!
Dear Friends, Family and Supporters of NECS,
Imagine a community where every child, regardless of financial means, has access to creative and fun-filled programs. Over the years, and with a commitment to keep program fees affordable and or free, NECS has been dedicated to providing exactly such experiences to children and youth whose families do not have the means to do so.
As we embark on our 6th year of service to the community, we would like to begin by thanking you for your continued support, and highlight our successes over the past school year along with plans for 2018 – 2019 school year.
2017-2018 School Year Impact:
- We served approximately 150 children and youth over the past year and provided tuition assistance to about 80 students. Programs included in performing and visual arts, multicultural cooking, yoga and mindfulness, and leadership and empowerment.
- We launched a preteen leadership and empowerment program for 11 – 13 year old students which was facilitated by high school students who we trained to be mentors and leaders. My Brother’s Keeper youth mentorship program for teenage boys of color also kicked off this year, and our long standing Girl Rising leadership and empowerment club completed it’s 5th year.
- The children’s theatre program successfully completed it’s 12th season with 18 cast members who performed for an audience of approximately 300 people.
- We successfully offered 3 after school programs over the course of the school year at the Furnace Woods Elementary school. Programs included social/emotional skills groups, yoga and mindfulness, and a virtues class called Raising Peacemakers that teaches concepts such as kindness, empathy, love and more.
- This past summer we offered 11 weeks of day camps with approximately 100 students participating, of whom 64 received full tuition scholarship and six received partial scholarships. Our initial goal was to provide full scholarship to 40 students from the Peekskill school district who wouldn’t otherwise have had the opportunity to attend camp, and thanks to the generosity of our supporters, we surpassed that goal by more than 50%!
2018 – 2019 Goals:
- To expand our leadership and empowerment programs and reach more youth, while targeting at-risk youth.
- To expand our award winning children’s theatre and character development programs into local schools.
- To provide free tuition to a larger number of Peekskill community children and youth whose families are unable to pay for the programs.
- To create more opportunities for children and youth to engage in social action within the community.
- To provide parenting support and education within the community.
It is our mission at NECS to draw forth the innate potential that lies within each child by providing enriching and creative programs. To foster joy, hope and a realization that every child, regardless of race, ethnicity, gender or social status, can be a voice of positive change which our communities so desperately need. Our greatest wish is that through the work we do with children and youth, they may be inspired to one day use their gifts to better the world.
As we look to and plan for the future, we hope that you will continue to support our efforts. This fall, our goal is to raise $20,000. As our reach expands so does the need for funds. In addition to funds, we need local volunteers. We invite friends who live nearby to join our team.
Together we can make a lasting impact in the lives of children, regardless of socioeconomic status, by giving them access to a place where they can work towards realizing their potential. We hope that you will continue to support us, so that we can continue the important work of educating our youth and supporting their families.
With love and gratitude,
Executive Director, New Era Creative Space
NECS is a Non-Profit organization, awaiting our 501(c)3 status, which we anticipate we by the end of the year. Donations made directly to NECS will become retroactive from the date we became established as a non profit, which April 2018. In the meantime, NECS is a sponsored project of Fractured Atlas, a non-profit 501(c)(3) arts service organization; thus you you may contribute through Fractured Atlas and your donation will be tax-deductible. If you intend to use Fractured Atlas pleaseLEASE CLICK HERE TO MAKE A DONATION. or make checks payable to Fractured Atlas, and earmarked below for NECS programs, and mail to: 1016 Brown Street – LL01, Peekskill NY 10566.
PS: Contributions are always welcome anytime throughout the year
PLEASE SHARE ON ALL YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA NETWORKS!
All contribution will go directly towards funding New Era Creative Space (NECS) programs.